As May is coming to a close, a month that celebrates Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders, we are called to reflect on the importance people of this heritage play in the hospitality industry as well as our greater society. We have stood witness to the tremendous success so many have achieved in our community but also, most regrettably, the challenges presented by ignorance and hatred.
As brokers and hotel owners, we have served our fellow hoteliers from all backgrounds for more than two decades. It saddens us to see the most recent violence directed at Asian Americans. It is too common and wide-ranging. We feel it is important to stand up as allies to those who are persecuted for the simple fact of their skin color and ancestry.
We Will Not Be Silent
It is not our desire to be “political” – but we will not sit in silence. There cannot be equality when discrimination is allowed to exist. Discrimination takes many forms, including, but not limited to, discrimination based on traits such as gender, sexual orientation, race, age, physical and mental disabilities, and religious beliefs.
We will stand together with the victims of murder, marginalization, and repression because of their skin color, and with those who seek justice through protests across our country.
We will fight for your equality, we will lift up your voices, we will stand with you, we will protect you, we will value you, we will honor you.
We Value Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion
- All of the CIP Team is committed, as always, to treating everyone as an individual regardless of their origin.
- Our entire company has undergone training in how to respond to, prevent, and intervene in instances of harassment, racism, and violence.
- We will continue to educate ourselves and advocate for our fellow humans, hoteliers, and people of every color, creed, race, and orientation.
- We support the efforts of our national, regional, and local hospitality organizations to lead the conversation about hate and violence prevention in our country.
- We believe that diversity is a strength to be appreciated and protected – and we are grateful for what each individual, culture, and experience brings to the conversation.
- We will treat each person, family, business, heritage, and culture with respect.
- If you ever feel we’ve missed the mark, please let us know. We are learning and growing and understanding as we go.
We’ll Lead By Example
It seems simple. We shouldn’t have to say it. We believe that systemic racism can’t be overcome until it is acknowledged, called out, and stood against. We believe that dignity and equality is a human right. We are sorry this isn’t so and will continue to lead by example in the hopes that we can be part of the change we need.